Are you an adult searching for a visit Disneyland plan? Well, you’re in the right place! We present to you the ultimate guide to plan a Disneyland trip worth writing home about.
Disneyland is not just a child’s happiest place; it’s a grown-up’s escape into a world where the worries of the ‘real world’ are left at the gate. Our expert tips will help you craft a Disneyland visit that’s as memorable as it is magical.
This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission, at no cost to you, when you make a purchase through the links. Read our complete disclaimer here, and Amazon Affiliate disclosure here.
Quick Facts About Disneyland
- Disneyland is located in the city of Anaheim, in Orange County, Southern California.
- Disneyland has two theme parks—Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park.
- Disneyland is one of two Disney Parks in the United States. The second is Disney World in Orlando, Florida.
- Disneyland is considered by many to be one of the best places to visit.
Plan a Disneyland Trip: Choosing The Best Time to Visit
An important aspect of your planning process will be deciding the best time of year to visit Disneyland.
The park experiences peak seasons primarily during spring break, summer months, and the holiday season.
These times often bring longer hours of operation, but with that, busy days, denser crowds, and lengthier lines for rides and attractions.
In contrast, off-peak seasons — generally late winter (after the New Year’s rush until just before spring break), late spring (after spring break and before school lets out), and mid-fall (after Labor Day until Halloween) — are less hectic.
You’ll find shorter wait times for popular attractions, fewer crowds, more relaxed pacing, and sometimes reduced accommodation rates.
If you are seeking a more tranquil visit with fewer people, these off-peak times can be perfect time.
Regardless of when you choose to visit, Disneyland is definitely a great place for a good time!
Special Events and Celebrations
Disneyland is not just a theme park; it’s an ever-changing landscape of celebrations. Special events like the Oogie Boogie Bash Halloween party and the park’s enchanting Holiday Season can offer unique adult-centric festivities.
If you’re inclined toward experiencing the park at its most thematic, planning your visit around these events should be done well in advance.
Halloween time at Disneyland usually starts in September and runs through October 31st. The Holiday season begins in November and lasts until early January, with each offering an entirely different aesthetic and vibe.
There are also annual events, such as the Wine Festival at Disney Adventure Park, which is a great way to tie an adult-only experience to Disney Park excitement.
Southern California, home to Disneyland, is renowned for its generally warmer temperatures year-round. However, the weather can still vary.
Summer brings the heat, which can be intense during midday, while late evenings during winter months can get surprisingly chilly.
When it comes to managing expectations of crowd levels, consider utilizing crowd calendar tools, which predict daily park attendance based on historical data.
Weekdays, especially Tuesday through Thursday, generally see lower crowd levels than weekends.
Also, planning your park days around local school calendars can be savvy. When kids are in school, the park is more likely to be adult-friendly in terms of space and pace.
Disneyland Plan: Booking Your Trip
Direct booking is the ideal option if you prefer to have complete control over every aspect of your trip.
Booking directly through Disneyland’s official website allows you to customize your vacation package, including tickets, reservations, and accommodations at Disney-owned hotels.
Direct booking also provides the most up-to-date information on park schedules, maintenance closures, and any potential discounts.
Travel agencies can be a timesaver if you prefer a hands-off planning experience. They provide a hassle-free booking experience and often have access to vacation package deals unavailable to the public. They are also a great option for booking for large groups.
Agencies like AAA or specialized Disney travel agents can offer packages that include travel insurance, dining plans, and even itinerary planning services. Plus, they bring the advantage of handling any unforeseen complications that may arise.
Airports Near Disneyland
Disneyland is conveniently surrounded by several airports, giving you options when it comes to where you land:
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
As a major travel hub, Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) has a wider range of flight options but is about 40 miles from Disneyland. Consider traffic, which can be heavy, especially during peak hours.
John Wayne Airport (SNA)
It is just 15 miles away and close to Disneyland, offering a quieter, more relaxed arrival experience.
Long Beach Airport (LGB)
Around 13 miles from Disneyland, LGB is a smaller airport that provides a laid-back beginning to your Disneyland adventure.
Transportation to Disneyland
Once you’ve touched down, the next step is getting to the park. Rental cars, shuttles, ride-sharing services, and even public transportation are available.
If you’re staying at a Disneyland Resort hotel or other nearby accommodations, check to see if they offer a complimentary shuttle service.
Planning for parking fees in your budget is a good idea if you opt for a rental car.
Plan a Disneyland Trip: Accommodation Choices
Choosing the right accommodations is essential to ensuring your Disneyland trip is as restful as it is magical.
On-Site Accommodations at Disney Hotels
Staying at one of the Disneyland Resort Hotels may be the best way to immerse yourself fully in the Disney experience. You will not just be close to the magic but live in it!
Some options include Paradise Pier Hotel, Disneyland Resort, and Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel.
Pros of Staying at Disney Hotels
- Early entry is available to Disneyland Resort Hotels guests with valid theme park tickets and reservations.
- Extra Magic Hour: An additional hour in the park available exclusively to Disneyland hotel guests, perfect for beating the queues at popular attractions.
- Proximity: Staying at a Disneyland Hotel will give you easy park access, as you will be a short walk or shuttle ride away.
- Disney Magic: Themed rooms at on-site hotels and impeccable Disney service can make your stay extra special.
- Charging Privileges: The convenience of charging park purchases to your Disney Hotel room can be a subtle luxury.
- Perks such as free breakfast may be available to you.
Cons of Staying at Disney Hotels
- Cost: On-site accommodations can be pricier than off-site hotels.
- Booking Difficulty: Popular times of year can make booking a room challenging, requiring you to plan well in advance.
- Less Diverse Dining Options: While the dining experiences are unique, they might not offer the variety found in the broader Anaheim area.
Off-Site Accommodations at Disneyland
Choosing a hotel outside of the Disneyland Resort can offer different advantages and cater to a more adult-centric trip.
Pros of Staying Outside Disneyland
- Cost-Effectiveness: Generally, off-site hotels offer the lowest prices, leaving room in your budget for other indulgences.
- Variety: A wide range of hotel brands and types, from boutique to luxury, provide diverse experiences.
- Culinary Exploration: Staying off-site encourages dining beyond Disney’s offerings.
Cons of Staying Outside Disneyland
- Convenience: You must plan transportation to and from the park daily.
- Less Disney Magic: The immersive experience of the Disney bubble is less pronounced when you step off the property.
- No Extra Magic Hour: You won’t have access to this on-site perk, which could mean longer waits for attractions.
Disneyland Plan: Crafting Your Itinerary
Disneyland Park and California Adventure Tickets
Single-Day Tickets: Ideal for those who have limited time. They allow access to either Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park.
Park Hopper Tickets: These tickets are a bit more expensive but offer the flexibility to park hop and visit both parks on the same day. They’re perfect if you do not have enough time but still want a full days Disney experience.
Discount Disneyland Tickets
- Look for special promotions or deals through trusted travel agents or official Disney partners to get the best deal on park ticket prices.
- Compare ticket prices across different platforms. Sometimes, you can save money when you purchase tickets well in advance can save you money. Also, check if your credit card company offers any special deals or cashback on theme park tickets.
- Off-Peak Discounts: Keep an eye out for special rates during off-peak times. Visiting mid-week or during slower seasons can offer savings.
- Group Rates: If traveling with friends, check if group discounts are available when you buy Disneyland tickets.
Tips To Help You Navigate Your Disneyland Experience
Disneyland Mobile App
The free Disneyland mobile app is a crucial tool to help you manage your theme park reservations.
It is a complimentary service integrated into the Disneyland mobile app. With a valid theme park reservation, you can use the Disney Genie service to plan your Disney park touring plan.
It offers features such as customized itineraries, forecasted wait times for rides, and food mobile orders and restaurant reservations.
It is available at an extra cost and offers all the features of the free Disney Genie, plus additional benefits such as lightning lane entrance. This will allow you to skip the standard long lines at popular attractions.
Additional perks include unlimited digital downloads of PhotoPass photos from any given day and audio tales that provide fun facts about the park.
You can join a virtual queue via the Disneyland app for some shows and experiences. This allows you to reserve a spot in line without physically standing there, freeing up your time to enjoy other attractions.
Nighttime Entertainment at at Disneyland
Explore Downtown Disney District
With live music, dining, and shopping, it’s the perfect place to unwind after a day in the parks. It is a short walking distance from Disneyland parks.
Enjoy Adult Beverages at the Two Parks
At Disney Park, River Belle Terrace, Carnation Café, Café Orleans, Blue Bayou, and Oga’s Cantina.
At Disney Califonia Adventure Park, head over to Lamplight Lounge, Bayside Brews, Carthay Circle Lounge, Wine Country Trattoria, Hollywood Lounge, Pym’s Tasting Lab, Port of San Fransokyo Cervecería
Experience Nighttime Rides
Some attractions take on a new life at night, such as Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, which offers a more exhilarating experience after dark.
Discover Disneyland After Dark
Disneyland comes alive with nighttime entertainment when the park closes. Keep an eye out for after park hours Disneyland After Dark events which often cater to an adult crowd, offering unique entertainment and limited admission for a more exclusive feel.
Tips For Disneyland Rides
Rides for Adults
While Disneyland is chock-full of attractions for all ages, certain Disneyland rides and experiences have a special allure for adults.
Use the Disneyland mobile app to find updated information about new rides, the most popular rides, and more.
The standby line is the traditional way of waiting for rides and attractions. This typically means spending a long time in line.
Single Rider Lines
If you do not mind splitting up your group, the good news is that single-rider lines can significantly reduce waiting times. This option is available on select rides and is ideal if you want to make the most of your time.
Individual Lightning Lanes
Available at an additional cost, park reservations for individual lightning lanes allow you to bypass the regular lines on the most popular attractions. This can be a great time-saver, especially for those must-see rides.
Dining Options When You Visit Disneyland
Tips For Booking Dining Reservations at In-Demand Restaurants
- Book Early: Reservations can be made up to 60 days in advance, so mark your calendar to make bookings as soon as your window opens.
- Use the Disneyland App: The app is the most efficient tool for identifying the best restaurants at Disneyland and booking reservations, allowing you to see available times and manage bookings on the go. Use the Disneyland app to order food in advance, where you can also view menu ingredients and select options that fit your dietary restrictions.
- Be Flexible: Try different times or dates if your first choice isn’t available. Consider dining during off-peak hours for better availability and a quieter atmosphere.
- Check Back Regularly: Cancellations happen, so keep checking the app, especially a day or two before your desired dining date.
Game Plan For Your Budget When You Visit Disneyland
How to Save Money on Disneyland Food
- Bring Your Own Snacks: Packing snacks can cut down on food costs and keep you energized throughout the day.
- Mobile Ordering: Avoid impulse buys and stick to a budget by ordering ahead using the Disneyland app.
- Dine Off-Site: Consider having meals outside the park where prices can be more reasonable.
How to Save Money on Souvenirs
- Set a Budget: Decide on a souvenir budget beforehand and stick to it.
- Prioritize Memories Over Merchandise: Choose one meaningful souvenir instead of multiple small items.
- Look for Exclusives: Some items are only sold in the park and can’t be purchased elsewhere, making them more special.
Understand the Costs of Extras
Extras like photo packages and special events can enhance your Disneyland experience but also add to the overall cost.
- Memory Maker: Weigh the cost against the benefit of getting professional photos of your entire trip. If you’re more casual about photos, using your phone might suffice.
- Single Photo Purchase: If you just want a few key memories, like a snap with Mickey, consider purchasing individual photos instead of a package.
- Seasonal Parties: Tickets to Halloween or Christmas parties are an extra cost but offer good times and unique entertainment. Determine if the experience is worth the additional fee for you.
- VIP Tours: These offer incredible insights and ease within the park but come at a premium. Decide if the time saved and the information gained are worth the cost.
Capturing Memories During Your Disneyland Trip
Find PhotoPass Photographers
Located at prime locations throughout the park, these professionals are skilled at capturing the perfect shot. Download the Disneyland App: The app is integrated with PhotoPass, making viewing and downloading your photos easy.
Consider Memory Maker
For an additional fee, Memory Maker allows you unlimited digital downloads of your PhotoPass images, including those taken at select attractions and dining locations.
Ask For Magic Shots
Ask the photographers for Magic Shots that add a sprinkle of Disney magic, with characters and other surprises digitally added to your photos.
Plan a Disneyland Trip: Final Thoughts
As our guide to planning the ultimate Disneyland trip for grown-ups comes to a close, it’s clear that the magic of Disney knows no age limit. The wonder that fills this enchanting park is a welcome reminder that adventure and delight can be embraced at any stage of life.
‘The Happiest Place on Earth’ isn’t just a wonderland for children—it’s a realm where adults can rediscover the magic of their youth and experience thrills that transcend the childlike wonder of merry-go-rounds and fairy tales.
A grown-up Disneyland vacation is about striking the perfect balance between the nostalgia of childhood memories and the sophistication of adult preferences. By carefully crafting your visit with the insights from this guide, you can curate a visit that’s as thrilling, relaxing, or whimsical as you desire.
Remember, the magic of Disneyland isn’t just found in its rides and attractions—it’s in the laughter, the shared moments, and the freedom to let your everyday worries melt away, if only for a little while.
P.S. If you found this guide helpful or want to save it for later, please pin it on Pinterest!